Most Expensive Salts
Salt is an important part of everyday cooking. Use of salt is known from time immemorial, it is used to enhance the taste of cooking and give depth to the dishes. Salt is composed of two chemical components namely Sodium and Chloride. They two form the important this important ingredient of cooking.
Salt is prepared by evaporation of sea water. However, a varied variety of salts which differ in costs ranging from $13 to $38 is available around the world. They can be used in cooking as well as medicine.
1. Amethyst Bamboo – $ 38.50 for a 1.2-ounce jar
This salt is prepared by using bamboo cylinders and Loess yellow clay and then kiln roasted. The bamboo and the clay get roasted leaving the salt which has a variety of minerals and polyphenols. The process is repeated almost 9 times till the salt gets its pink colour. It is used for cooking and as a finishing salt.
2. Korean Oyster Bamboo – $ 28.50 for a 1.2-ounce jar
Gray sea salt is roasted in aged bamboo cylinders and ceramic clay. The roasting is done a number of times to give the salt its colour. Prepared in Korea and used all over south east asia, not only for cooking but for many medicinal purposes too. It is known to cure cancer and a variety of other illnesses too.
3. Hana Flake – $ 17.25 for a 1.2-ounce jar
With a icy white colour and shape of a flattened pyramid, this salt is used as seasoning with a variety of Japanese dishes. Hana Flake shines in sunlight and has the smell of artic air.
4. Kamebishi Soy Salt - $ 17.25 for a 12-ounce jar
With a mix of many flavours like sea-weedy, sauvy, meaty and bready, this salt is a rather new concept. Made in Japan, the salt is used to season any type of food be it fish, vegetables, or eggs.
5. Black Truffle Salt (Tartufo Nero) – $ 16.00 for a 1.2-ounce jar
6. Iburi Jio Cherry Smoked Salt – $ 14.50 for a 1.2-ounce jar
7. Saffron Salt – $ 16.50 for a 1.2-ounce jar
8. Kilauea Onyx – $ 12.00 for a 1.2- ounce jarTop of Form
9. Oshima Island Blue – $ 13.25 for a 1.2-ounce jar
10. Takesumi Bamboo – $ 13.00 for a 2-ounce jar
With so many expensive salts available in the market for use of the consumer they not only improve the taste of the food, they also help to enhance your appetite.