Do you often find yourself unhappy and discontented with your life you? Do you think you need to improve your personal relationships with your closed ones? Are you unable to improve your skills or excel in your workplace?
If you are constantly engrossed with such questions, you need to push yourself to change, something which is called as Self Improvement.
What is Self Improvement?
Self-improvement is improving your own knowledge, status or character by your own efforts. The scope to improve is vast when related to your personal development. Often termed as self-help, this includes focusing on techniques, which help you to excel economically, intellectually, or emotionally. Self-improvement gives an opportunity to become a better person from what you presently are.
How to Improve Self Confidence?
Self-improvement is a key to boost your self-confidence. Many a times we find ourselves incompetent of doing things and we automatically lose our self-confidence. We find obstacles in everything and if the things do not go well, we start looking at life negatively. To overcome our negative state of mind, it is necessary to learn, practice and master skills which can help you to become a stronger and more confident person. Once you start mastering your weaknesses, your self-confidence automatically tends to improve. Hence, improving yourself means increasing your self-confidence.
Now let’s Ponder on What are the Ways to Improve Yourself. It includes
Analyzing yourself is perhaps the most challenging thing to do. But if done properly, it can play a significant role in your personal progress. Do a personal skill SWOT analysis, which will help you to know more about your strength and weakness.
Once you are aware of your Achilles heel, try to dig deep and make a plan of how you can improve on it. Do a mind mapping of your weaknesses and the steps you will take to improve on it.
The entire thought process gets wasted if you fail to act accordingly. With your improved skills, you should be proactive when faces with a challenging situation. Intoduce positive change.
Self Improvement Objectives
These objectives vary from person to person, but on a broader scale, let us divide them into 3 categories
- You should improve yourself; your health, your habits to make yourself physically and mentally a stronger person. This will increase your self-esteem.
- You should try to improve your nature and reactions. This will help you to have a cordial relationship with your friends and family.
- You should work on improving your professional skills. This will help you to do well professionally.
Improving yourself professionally requires special attention as acts as the differential factor between you and your peers.
Taking your present monotonous job for granted and showing a disinterest is a wrong attitude. Where at one side, people struggle to get a job, those who have a job are already in a state of luxury and hence, it is always required to learn new things, strive for betterment and give your best at your workplace. This also gives a sense of satisfaction, higher morale and improved work efficiency. Learn new skills, take challenging task, and try to apply an out of the box approach. In short make an effort to sincerely improve your quality of work.
Those who are not motivated towards self-improvement require external catalyzing agents to set them on this path. This may include self-improvement books, self-improvement apps, quotes etc.
Self Improvement Books - An Elixir of Self Help!
Few of the best-selling books which everyone should read include-
Who Moved My Cheese?
A motivational tale by Spencer Johnson, this book emphasizes on the changes that happen in your work and life and how one should be ready to adapt to these changes.
The 7Habits of Highly Effective People
Considered to be a powerful book that can change someone’s life, this book is translated into 38 languages and remains to be an influential self-help book.
How to Win Friends and Influence People
One of the first self-improvement books ever, this book is immensely popular among business people and contains lessons and strategies for personal change.
Self Improvement Apps
Fabulous: Motivate Me!
This app follows a holistic science-based approach to make you more active, increase your energy, lose weight, and sleep better by adding healthy habits and routines in your life.
This user friendly app helps you to set your goals for your upcoming week/ month in various areas like family, health, finance, hobbies and personal growth with a target value and time limit.
This app is designed to improve your meditation power. You can add natural sounds and music to your meditation. You can also set the duration for how long you want to meditate.
Make a routine to read out these quotes to keep yourself self-motivated
- Improvement begins with I
- Be so busy improving yourself, that you have no time to criticize others.
- Become addicted to constant and never-ending self-improvement.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Compare yourself to the person from yesterday.
- Breaking old habits and forming new ones always takes time, but it is worth it in the end.
Once you decide to improve yourself, inculcate these ideas and tips for self-improvement-
Few Ideas of Self Improvement
Getting organized saves you from wasting your time on unnecessary things and gives you the privilege to concentrate more on important things. By organizing your life, you make it more productive and purposeful.
Deepen your knowledge
Gaining knowledge is the primary step to becoming a more self-confident version of yourself. It boosts your career and helps you to reach towards your desired goals.
Be a better human being
Try to inculcate habits, which will help you to become a better person. This will have a direct impact on your surroundings and you will indeed become a role model for your fellow beings.
Self Improvement Tips
Give some time to yourself
Create a ‘me’ time in your daily routine, which will help you to know yourself better. This will help you to discover your likes and dislike, your strengths and weakness.
Remember to introspect as well as retrospect. This will help you realise your mistakes and will give you an opportunity to ponder on how to correct them.
Even if you feel that you haven’t reached towards your desired goal, remember to keep going. Self-improvement is not a process, which will garner immediate results.
Self Improvement Questions - You should learn to question yourself
Do I need to improve the quality of my personal life?
If you are not contended with the life you are leading, you should start making a conscious effort to have a healthier and happier personal life.
Do I need to improve my skills on my professional front?
If you feel that you lack skills, which can boost your career or can make you better than your peers, start working on it.
Do I need to improve my habits to be a better person?
If you find scope in improving your habits, do it so that you can be a role model for the people you are surrounded with.
Self Improvement Checklist
- Read self-improvement books
- Give some time to yourself
- Did I analyze my mistakes?
- Am I making an effort to improve my habits/skills?
- Do I see any improvement in myself?
Personal Development Objectives
Personal development aims at improving self-awareness and self-knowledge. One should be clear about their short-term and long-term objectives. This may include
- I will work towards becoming a better person. I will try to improve my nature which will make my near and dear ones happier.
- I will be accountable for the roles and responsibilities assigned to me. I will try to work hard and give my best at the workplace, this will keep me self-motivated in office.
- I will try to engage myself in habits, which will be beneficial for my self-growth. I will get myself organized, will follow a routine and will do exercise regularly.
Personal Growth Goals
If you are not sure from where to begin setting your personal growth goals, here are few ideas to get you started-
- Be friendly to others. Smile even if you see a stranger. Smile is the prettiest thing you can wear.
- Be more positive. A positive attitude can help you win a lost battle, things will change if we will look at things with a positive attitude.
- Manage time better. Time never waits for anyone, to keep growing you need to chase it. Focus more on work and less on unnecessary things.
To sum up, never ever leave an opportunity, which can help you improve. Take it as a self-challenge and try to improve your present version.
If we will consistently compete with others, we will become bitter
If we will consistently compete with our self, we will definitely become better.