Sleep - Sound sleep is nothing lesser than a blessing
Sleep is the condition of body and mind, which typically recurs for many hours every night. It is a state when the nervous system is the least active, the eyes are closed, and the conscious are practically suspended. After we sleep, we feel refreshed and are alert for our daily day to day activities.
Cannot sleep? Welcome to the world of insomnia, as most of the adults are victims of it. Certain medical conditions are the prime cause for lack of sleep. If you are worried and anxious, then it is difficult to sleep, and you can try the following scientific proven ways to sleep.
Sleep is one thing that the harder you try and the harder you work at it, the more chances of you failing in it.
If you wake up in the middle of the night and do something, undertake an activity that requires the use of your hands and head.
You toss and turn to get some sleep, and the clocks tick around. You can do yourself a favor by hiding the clock as constantly checking it increases your stress levels.
Taking a warm shower before going to bed, and then stepping into the cool air, will cause the body temperature to drop considerably. Showers also can be very relaxing.
Not only lavender smell lovely, but the aroma of the flower also soothes your nerves, makes you calm and puts you in a relaxed state of mind. It is encouraged by the fact that some people respond better to scents.
Most of the people are likely to encounter a hard time in sleeping as your mind is flooded with thoughts, stresses when you hit the pillow. A few lifestyles changes like less intake of caffeine, regular exercise along with meditation can do the wonders. But here are a few natural ways that will help you to fall asleep and get that restful sleep that you have been looking for.
The smell is soothing, makes you calmer and ready for sleep. When you integrate it to your sleep routine, you send the signal to the brain that it is time to chill. It is much more than a stress buster as it can help one a natural aid for sleep.
This is a simple practice of breathing through the left nostril. It is a good way of focusing on breathing and counting though you may sound silly at times.
Try out a few meditation techniques, and no matter whatever meditation you do, it will clear and calm your mind so one could get easy to sleep.
Breathe in for 4 seconds, then hold the breath for 5 seconds and slowly let the breath go after 8 seconds. This activity slows the heart down and calms the mind.
Yoga helps in relaxing the mind and the body. It is suggested that you keep the yoga moves on the mat.
Few people among us are lucky to sleep without any hiccups. The minute they hit the pillow they are out. But for the rest of us who lie on the bed, rolling, counting and figuring out a way to sleep. With that in mind, here
All of us are aware of the fact that exercise improves our health, but it also improves sleep by reducing the stress. Do not exercise 3 hours before bedtime as the adrenaline will keep you awake.
Do not have a heavy dinner before you go to bed. A heavy meal makes it impossible for digestion and makes it difficult for you to fall asleep. But do not go to bed hungry as this will also keep you awake.
Switch off the TV and the computer. This form of simulation tells the brain to be active, and evidence proves the fact that it is related to sleep quality
You will fall asleep faster if your bedroom is much cooler. The lower temperature lowers the core body temperature and helps you to sleep faster. Ideal temperature for sleep is around 65 degrees
As far as possible set your bedtime routine in such a manner that you go to sleep the same time every day. The body is conditioned to sleep faster as a regular habit is set.
Light and darkness provide vital clues for a productive day. So no surprises to the fact that light in your bedroom or the one peeping in from outside can have a considerable impact on the quality of sleep.
The modern world is full of gadgets along with electronic devices. For work and environment, technology has become popular and the evening hours are no exception. Research points to the fact that 95 % of people use electronic gadgets a few hours before they hit the bed every night.
Light is a powerful guide for the body. You should imagine your room as a sanctuary. The moment you think about your bedroom it should make you feel relaxed. If you take care of your sleep environment, it is bound to make you welcome more restful nights shortly. Before you buy bedroom light, first determine the size of the room. Take the measurements of the room along with outlet locations.
One can also opt to leave the room and allow it to glow. Plan in advance what you wish to do in the room and then choose the appropriate form of lighting. Say the sewing machines, reading books in the bedroom need direct light. In the sitting areas, you can opt for light shades. The size of the room should also be kept in mind.
The height of the rooms is normally 8 feet to 9 feet. You would obviously require a certain level of lighting for reading, and sufficient amount of light is needed for dressing as well. The light should be so high that it can reach all the desired areas as well. The best option would be to stay on the lighter side.
Getting enough amount of sleep is critical. But do you know the fact that the sleeping position has a considerable impact on your physical health? Let us now understand the dos and don’ts in terms of sleep position.
1. Sleeping straight and on the back, gravity forces the base of the tongue to collapse onto the airway. The spine is also supported in the best possible manner. No curves or an additional form of pressure is added to the back. One is in the best position as the spine is in a natural alignment all night along.
2. On the side, you are prone to snoring or have neck and back pain. The spine is elongated that helps to reduce the back pain. When you sleep on the side, it can also cause unwanted skin sagging, and can pave the way for the emergence of wrinkles. It does not drain any portion of the body, though.
3. On the back with the arms on the sides is considered to be the best sleeping position as it is right for your neck health and condition of the spine. This is good as long as you do not use too many pillows
4. Starfish position is good for the back. When you sleep in this position, the chances of wrinkles and skin burnouts reduce to a bare minimum. Avoid your arms up as it puts too much pressure on the shoulders
1. Resting on the tummy is one of the worst positions to sleep. The natural curve of the spine is flattened, and it can lead to pain in the lower back. You can try sticking a pillow under the back to give it a much-needed support.
2. The way you sleep can also have an impact on your health. If you sleep on the right side, it can worsen the heartburn and on the left side can put a strain on the internal organs like the lungs, liver or the stomach.
3. Sleeping in a position where knees are drawn up to the chest- this position can lead to neck or chest pain. Sleeping in this position can cause a strain on your back and joints, especially when you rest the shoulder and the back should be aligned.
4. The fetal position that is closed as one would feel that it is good for sleeping. But that is not the case, and it can lead to back and neck pain.
Some people have trouble in getting proper sleep. The others can’t fall asleep. The health benefits of a good night’s sleep are countless. It helps the immune system to be stronger as well as lowers the risk of heart disease.
Fish boosts of vitamin B6 that is needed to make melatonin. It is a hormone that induces sleep triggered by some form of darkness. Typical examples in this regard are salmon and tuna. On the flip side avoid deep fried fish as they take a longer time to digest and keep you awake.
Jasmine rice triggers greater amount of insulin that increases the portion of sleep inducting hormones tryptophan relative to the amount of amino acids in the blood.
Cherries are known as a natural source which has melatonin, the hormone that is known to regulate the sleep cycle of an individual. Previous studies point to the fact that cherry juice has great sleep-enhancing benefits.
Dairy products like yoghurt or milk boost your dosage of calcium, and research is an indicator of the fact that being deficient in calcium has an impact on the quality of your sleep. On the other hand, beverages like caffeine can affect people differently, as the smallest amount of it can keep you wake up.
Whole grains like barley or bulgur are reaching in magnesium, and when you consume too less magnesium, it is difficult for you to keep yourselves awake.
Bananas are famous for their content of potassium that is a good source of vitamin B6. It is a good source of melatonin that triggers sleep due to some form of darkens.
The chicken peas are known to possess vitamin B6 that is the cornerstone for the production of Melatonin.
They are the best among the lot. They are known to contain magnesium that promotes sleep and muscle relaxation. They possess the added benefits of supplying proteins that help to maintain a stable blood sugar while sleeping.
They have a calming effect on the body. An ideal example would be Basel contain chemicals that reduce tension and promote sleep. Avoid herbs like black or red pepper at night, as it can have a stimulatory effect.
These unsaturated fats will not improve the condition of the heart, but also improve the serotonin levels. When you buy peanut butter see it to that, it is the only ingredient in it. One needs to avoid foods with Tran’s fats such as potato chips or high-fat snack foods. They tend to bring down the levels of serotonin.
A certain amount of sleep is important for your mood, enhancing your energy levels and improving your overall health. To a certain extent, it is also dependent on the activities you undertake during the course of the day. What you eat during the day, the kind of physical activity you indulge, how mentally drained you are. So what are the things that you need to do and not do before you going to bed
1. The harder you try to sleep the difficult it becomes. When you are confronted with such a situation, try exactly the opposite. It sounds crazy, but experts are of the viewpoint that it is bound to work wonders.
2. Taking a hot shower or bath is the perfect way to wind down before you go to bed. It is the perfect way to relax and convey the message to the body that you ready to rest.
3. Another effective tip would be to tell yourself a story. If one is creative, then they can surely make up a way, and this will distract your mind and make you feel sleepy.
4. Do get a new pillow- there might be dust mites in your old pillow, and you might be allergic to them. Using this as an excuse, you might look out for something cozier and fluffier.
5. Do set an alarm before you go to bed. It may sound a lot ridiculous. Getting to sleep at the correct time is a challenge but waking up at the prescribed time may make a huge difference.
1. The number one reason for the lack of sleep is spending too much time looking at the screen. Give your eyes a rest and spend 30 minutes away from your phone or laptop.
2. Do not undertake any form of intense exercise before going to bed. It will raise your body temperature that can make the chance of feeling sleepy all the harder.
3. Avoid drinking loads of water when you go to bed as then you will be running to the toilet on a regular basis. Unless you are thirsty, avoid drinking excess water.
4. The intake of protein should be avoided at night- Protein takes a lot out of your digestive system, and that makes it difficult for the rest of the body to fall asleep. It is better if you go for a night fruit.
5. No drinks before you go to bed- One might think of drinking the whole glass of wine before they go to sleep. As it is a proven fact, that alcohol disrupts the quality of sleep, better you avoid the same. So save the drink for some happy times.
Sleep is the best exercise after a stressed day at work. If you get proper sleep, then your body and mind remain relaxed, and you have better energy to work the next day. There are very few lucky people who do not find any problem and sleep as soon as they are in bed. They do not face any trouble while falling fast asleep in the night.
Here are some tips which shall help you to fall asleep faster
Modern life has taken a toll on the person’s life. The person is stressed up so much that they need sleeping pills and various other drugs in order to get better sleep. But in the long run, this has adverse effects on the body. Here are the popular relaxation exercises to fall asleep.
Meditation is supposed to be the medicine for all types of health problems. It helps the person to concentrate on the mind and soul. It would be good if you can meditate just before you go to bed. It will relax your body muscles.
This is a practical exercise wherein the tension on the muscles is relaxed. When you focus on this exercise, it diverts the attention from unwanted worrying thoughts. In this practical exercise, you have more of breathing which de-stresses your muscles.
This is also a part of meditation. This type of exercises improves the blood circulation and also provides more oxygen to the body. It reduces anxiety and hence provides good sleep during the night.
This is the latest research done
The yoga masters have claimed that it can make you sleep in a minute. Though it may not be accurate completely but it definitely works out in the long run.
There is no one who does not worry about tomorrow – you need to be relaxed and leave it to fate and do not show any anxiety. Always think positively and have confidence that all will be good.
Sleep has a significant role in your physical health. For example, sleep involves repair of your heart and blood vessels. The deficiency of sleep is related to the risk of heart disease, stroke along with high blood pressure. In children sleep supports growth and development. The way you feel when you are awake depends on quality sleep. The damage related to sleep deficiency can occur instantly or can transpire over a period. It can also affect the way on how you think, learn and get along with others.
Sleep helps the brain to function properly. When you are sleeping, the brain is working for the next day. It is helping you to learn new things and recollect information. Research points to the fact that on how a good night’s sleep helps improves learning. Be it your problem-solving skills, controlling your emotions or learning to drive a car, sleep has its own positives associated with it.
Sleep makes you more attentive, creative and be rational in your decision-making process. Deficiency of sleep alters activity in some parts of the brain. If one is deficient in sleep, you may have trouble in making several decisions and coping with any form of change. Sleep deficiency is also related to depression along with risk taking behavior.
In the case of children deficiency of sleep may pose problems for getting along with others. They are likely to feel angry, depressed and are more prone to mood swings. They may not have the desired level of motivation, may get lower grades and feel stressed. Less sleep also increases the chances of obesity.
It also maintains a healthy balance of the hormones that make you hungry. It also affects the way in which your body reacts to insulin, the hormone that controls the level of sugar.
Obtaining proper amount of sleep is the need of any individual. Lack of sleep affects you both in the short term and long term. It has not only physical impact on your body but emotionally you become drained. If quality sleep is a problem, one must seek professional or medical help.
Help our community grow with motivational stories, articles & tips
Experts share their Ideas, Success Tips and Secrets