Self-Love is the Key To Finding True Love
Growing up on Disney movies had ensured that most of us are aware of the importance of true, unconditional love. So we go through life looking for our ever alluring True Love and in order to get there, we tend to go through a plethora of heartbreaks on our way. Why? Maybe the guy was a jerk or the girl was a high-maintenance no-good diva. But most often than not, it is us who stand in the way of our True Love.
How do you ask? Here’s how. We don’t love ourselves. We forget ourselves and lose our entity for the sake of the relationship we cling to and this brings doom to the very relationship that we had put our heart, time, sweat and tears into. The moment we lose ourselves, we lose a sense of being. If you don’t know yourself and don't love the way you are, how can you expect someone else to do it? So it is vital that we love ourselves and respect who we are within.
God (being all powerful, almighty and all) does not make mistakes and He definitely did not do a botched up job when it came to you. So have faith in yourself and remember to love yourself first. Charity begins at home and only when you love yourself, you can love others unconditionally. Self-love is the key.
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection” - Buddha
How To Love Yourself?
- Know who you are – what are your needs, your dreams, your values and your passions.
- Be honest with yourself.
- Accept who you are with all your stellar attributes and with all you flaws and quirks.
- Be positive and don’t let anything or anyone (and that includes you too) bring you down. Look at the bright side of things. You will rarely find a Disney princess sulking, be brooding and crying her life away! If they do at times (as all humans do), they brush it off, get up, and embrace life with even more courage and valour. Find the good in everything, learn from your mistakes and live life to its full potential.
- Spend time with your loved ones, your friends and family, people who truly know you and encourage you to do better.
- Believe that you can. You can achieve what you want to. You are capable enough to build and live the life you want.
- Try new things. Be brave. Have an adventure (every small one counts). The more you do and achieve, the more your self-confidence will grow.
- Put your dreams on priority. It is, after all, YOUR life. So stop being the side character and be the star lead actor in it. Get into the driving seat.
- Pursue your dreams passionately. Have gumption.
- Value your own opinions and decisions. Trust your own intuitions. Don’t be a pushover and bend over backwards to suit someone else’s whims just to keep them happy. Learn to say no to things that do not suit your plan or to which you disagree. Saying yes to such stuff creates conflict and discontent within.
- Be kind to yourself. Don’t beat yourself up every time there is a difficulty. Learn to forgive yourself for past mistakes.
- Take care of YOU- your body, mind and soul. Get plenty of “me” time to do what you love and what uplifts your mood. Exercise, eat well, sleep and keep yourself fit and beautiful to achieve whatever you have set out to achieve.
What Self Love Is Not About?
- Being narcissistic
- Being arrogant
- Being vain
- Being egocentric
- Being selfish
Don’t confuse yourself and make sure that you don’t include the above features in your persona. No one loves a jerk.
How Self-Love Impacts Your Love Life?
When you love yourself completely, you feel whole from within. You do not need someone else to fulfil you, to make you feel worthy. If your self-worth is high, you need not go beyond your limitations and put your dreams on hold to prove your worth to anyone. You stop being insecure, needy and clingy. All these are a sure shot way to failure when it comes to relationships. Its true that partners should be compatible and their attributes should complement each other, but make sure that the need to have a relationship does not stem from the need to complete your life. It is to enhance it and make an already beautiful life even more so.
Loving and respecting ourselves frees us from all fears, doubts and needless worries. So forget those self-imposed boundaries and be courageous enough to dream big. The love you have within yourself is endless and the more you are attuned with your inner self, the easier it is to keep the love flowing out.
You emanate confidence, positivity, playfulness, peace and happiness. This makes you even more attractive to that special someone in your life. Your true love is the one person who can see you for who you really are without pretence or judgement. They will see you the way you see yourself. So make sure that you bring out the stellar you that sleeps within.
Love yourself to widen the door to your heart and create a better space to be more authentic and open in a relationship. It will help you feel inspired and passionate. Without the constraints of co-dependence and overburdening expectations, you will be able to have a relationship of unconditional love. Once you make yourself ready for the next step, all you have to do is wait for the right person to come along and soon you will have your own “Happily Ever After”.
“To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance”– Oscar Wilde