The company was originally founded as an airborne crop dusting, sweeping agency, ‘The Huff Daland Duster’ in May 30, 1924, and was the virtually the first of its kind in the entire world, as an innovative aggregating linkage to agricultural practices in the cultivation of wool and in neutralizing pests. The original founding members were B.R. Coad and Collet E. Woolman, both being a part of the workforce of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The earlier headquarter was situated in Monroe, state of Louisiana. The passenger services were very minimal during this time due to lack of suitable permits and recognition.
In September 13, 1928, Woolman bought re-named the company as ‘Delta Air Service’. From 1934, the company functioned as an air mail delivery agency, its craft being used mainly for postal purposes. The passenger services were again re-started on March, 1934 and with the merger of ‘Chicago and Southern Air Lines’ with Delta in 1953, full fledged and extensive passenger services has been in abeyance since then largely within the United States of America. The head office was shifted from Monroe to Atlanta in 1941. The last amalgamation took place with Northwest Airlines in 2008.