Largest Oil and Gas Companies in the World
The oil industry can be both dirty as well as dangerous. However, it is also an industry, which produces massive profits on a daily basis. Ever since the early 20th century, the world has demanded that more oil be produced.
However, there has always been monopoly by these large oil and gas companies over smaller ones. That being said, many companies have grown to become extremely successful and rich. In fact, some have grown into the largest oil and gas companies in the world. Here is a list of some such companies.
1. Kuwait Petrol Corporation – 3.2 million barrels per day
Did you know that Chevron and BP were originally created by the Kuwait Petrol Corporation in the year 1934? Afterwards, the Government of Kuwait took over the company and nationalised the oil industry. The subsequent Gulf War did considerable damage to these industries. However, today they are one of the largest oil and gas companies of the world.
2. Chevron – 3.5 million barrels per day
Originally, it began as the Pacific Coast Oil Company (PCOC) when oil was discovered in California in the year 1879. In 1984, it became known as the Standard Oil of California that merged with Gulf Oil. However, it later became Chevron, which is one of the largest oil and gas companies of the world.
3. Petroleos Mexicanos (Pemex) – 3.6 million barrels per day
Back in the day, the Government of Mexico had seen potential in this industry, which was developed by British and American oil companies. Today, Pemex is the top producer of oil and gas.
4. Royal Dutch Shell – 3.9 million barrels per day
5. BP – 4.1 million barrels per day
6. PetroChina – 4.4 million barrels per day
7. ExxonMobil – 5.3 million barrels per day
8. National Iranian Oil Company – 6.4 million barrels per day
9. Gazprom – 9.7 million barrels per day
10. Saudi Aramco – 12 million+ barrels per day
Some of these oil and gas companies are so large that they even have their own airlines. In fact, they are the largest producers of oil and gas in the entire world. Most of these companies are based in Saudi Arabia.