Yuvraj Singh Story
Yuvraj Singh is a professional Indian international cricket player. He is an all-rounder who bats left-handed and is a slow left-arm orthodox bowler. He has been playing for the Indian cricket team since October of 2000 in One Day International (ODI) format. He made his Test debut for the Indian cricket team three years later in October of 2003.
Yuvraj Singh has been one of the top performers in the Indian cricket team and has achieved many records and awards, especially for his aggressive batting style.
Yuvraj Singh was born on December 12, 1981 in Chandigarh, India. He was born in the Punjabi Jat family to former Indian cricketer, Yograj Singh and his wife, Shabnam Singh. After the divorce of his parents, Yuvraj chose to stay with his mother. He was active in tennis as well as roller skating as a child and went on to win the National Under-14 Roller Skating Championship.
Yuvraj attended the DAV Public School in Chandigarh and was also a child star in two Punjabi movies.
- Yuvraj Singh’s cricket career started from the Punjab Under-14 matches in the season of 1995-96 against Jammu & Kashmir.
- In 1996-97, Yuvraj played for the Punjab Under-19 team and scored an unbeaten 137 against Himachal Pradesh.
- In late 2000, Yuvraj debuted in first-class cricket against Orissa in the 1997-98 Ranji Trophy season.
- In 1999, Yuvraj showed his fiery form and scored the complete 358 runs required to win the match against Bihar at Jamshedpur in the Under-19 Cooch Behar Trophy Final.
- In February of 1999, Yuvraj played for the Under-19 Indian side in the series against Sri Lanka.
- In 2000, Yuvraj was selected for the Indian squad for the 2000 ICC KnockOut Trophy due to his impressive Under-19 performance till date. He made his international debut against Kenya in the pre-quarterfinal.
- In 2001, Yuvraj returned to the Indian squad in the 2001 Coca-Cola Cup in Sri Lanka and scored an impressive and important 98 (not out) in the fifth match of the series.
- In 2002, he returned to playing domestic cricket. He scored a memorable 209 against South Zone while playing for the North Zone in the Duleep Trophy match in March. In the same year, he was drafted back in the Indian team and played an unbeaten 80 off 60 balls against Zimbabwe and helped India win the match and level the series.
- In 2002, Yuvraj batted in two games in the ICC Champions Trophy in Sri Lanka and failed to give a satisfactory performance.
- In April of 2003, yuvraj made his debut ODI century, knocking 102 (not out) off 85 balls against Bangladesh at Dhaka. In the same year, he became the second cricketer (after Sachin Tendulkar) to be selected for the Yorkshire County Cricket Club.
- In October of 2006, Yuvraj made his Test cricket debut in his home ground of Mohali against New Zealand.
- In 2007, in the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 Super-8 match in Durban, Yuvraj made a record when he hit 6 sixes in England’s Stuart Broad’s over, making him one of the chosen four senior cricketers to have achieved this feat, the first time to have achieved this in the Twenty20 format as well as the first to have scored so against a Test playing nation.
- In September of 2007, Yuvraj was named as the ODI vice-captain for the international Indian cricket team after the resignation of Rahul Dravid under Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s captaincy. He remained in top form in the year
- In 2011, Yuvraj was diagnosed with lung cancer and underwent treatment in the US.
- In September of 2012, Yuvraj recovered completely from the cancer and was selected for the Indian team for the World Twenty20 Cup in Sri Lanka.
- In February of 2014, Royal Challengers Bangalore bought Yuvraj for a whopping INR14 crores.
Yuvraj Singh became the fourth senior cricketer in the history to have hit 6 sixes consecutively in an over in ODI cricket off of England’s Stuart Broad.
He is also the first all-rounder to have scored more than 300 runs and to have taken 15 wickets in the same World Cup.
Yuvraj Singh Dated Hazel Keech over a year and they announced that they are engaged in April 2016. On 30th November 2016 Yuvi tied a knot to Hazel Keech. The Wedding happened in grand Punjabi style. Former and Current Indian Cricketers attended the marriage held in Goa. Indian skipper Virat Kohli showed some of his dance moves at the wedding along with Yuvi and other cricketers.
Yuvraj Singh has made numerous records and has shown diverse forms while playing for the Indian side or in the Twenty20 format of the game.
For his brilliant and inspiring on and off-field performance, Yuvraj has been awarded:
- A Porsche 911 by vice president of BCCI in 2007
- Man of the Series in the ICC Cricket World Cup in 2011
ICC T20 International Performance of The Year